The Tournament Committee is a NASPA committee established to
supervise sanctioned North American SCRABBLE tournaments.
To contact the Tournament Committee send an email to email@example.com.
It currently consists of the following:
New members are welcome.
The committee has the following items on its agenda:
- Decide on a certification process for tournament directors in coordination with a similar process for club directors being developed by the Club Committee
- Debate whether certification can be suspended for directors who take longer than a week to submit ratings data
- Liaise with the WESPA Tournament Committee
- Review the existing criteria for sanctioning tournaments, consider in particular whether there should be limits on the number of events a director can list or how far in advance an event may be listed; prepare options for the Advisory Board to choose from
- On an ongoing basis, supervise tournament directors, including
- Maintaining the tournament calendar
- Receiving and processing incident reports, passing them up to the Advisory Board as necessary
- Making sure that tournament directors receive the news and information they need to perform their function
- Overseeing the mentor/apprentice system when it is implemented
NASPA maintains its calendar of
sanctioned tournaments as an information resource for its members. Registered directors
may apply to the Committee to add tournaments to the calendar, provided the following conditions
- the director’s membership expires after the end of the planned event
- For a multi-day event, no other events are already sanctioned within two weekends and 200 miles of the planned event. For a one-day event, no other one-day events are already sanctioned on the same day within 200 miles of the planned event, and no other multi-day events are already sanctioned on the same weekend within 200 miles of the planned event.
- the application is submitted eight weeks before the planned event
Furthermore, unless there are exceptional circumstances and permission is obtained in advance,
an event cannot be rated unless:
- each division has at least four players
- each division has at least two rated players
The committee has access to the following web tools: