You are viewing a condensed mobile version of this NASPA webpage.
Switch to full version.
- September 5, 2020: Decorah News reports on Iowan Mike Johnson being named a SCRABBLE Expert.
- August 6, 2020: Yahoo! Life discovers some high-scoring words on the NASPA Records page.
- July 29, 2020: The Sun Chronicle interviews expert player Bradley Whitmarsh.
- July 18, 2020: Sports Destination Management interviews John Chew about NASPA and our championship.
- July 6, 2020: Yorkton (SK) This Week interviews John Chew about the organization of tournament SCRABBLE.
- The inclusion of slurs in the lexicon
- October 5, 2020: Howard Warner, the president of the New Zealand Association of SCRABBLE Players, looks at the impact of the issue on international play.
- October, 2020: SCRABBLE Grandmaster Scott Appel writes about the decision to remove slurs in his monthly column - Your Word Against Mine - in Games World of Puzzles.
- July 16, 2020: Openly interviewer Oscar Lopez speaks to John Chew about the decision to remove slurs. Interview begins at 23:50.
- July 16, 2020: Mandatory discusses the decision to remove slurs.
- July 16, 2020: The Great Courses Daily examines what makes words taboo in light of the decision to remove offensive slurs.
- July 16, 2020: Associations Now interviews John Chew about the decision to remove slurs.
- July 16, 2020: Julie Rose interviews Arkansas player Josephine Flowers on Top of Mind on BYUradio. The interview occurs about 1 3/4 hours into the episode.
- July 14, 2020: News Talk 780 KOH announces the decision.
- July 14, 2020: Language reports on the decision to remove slurs.
- July 14, 2020: Mass Live recaps the issue.
- July 12, 2020: Click Lancashire reports on the decision.
- July 12, 2020: The Gamer covers the issue.
- July 12, 2020: The Irish Post discusses the possible removal of CULCHIE.
- July 11, 2020: Kildare Nationalist comments on CULCHIE as one of the offensive words.
- July 10, 2020: Stefan Fatsis reports on the drama following the decision in Slate.
- July 10, 2020: Miles Klee writes an essay about the decision in Mel.
- July 10, 2020: Mix 93.1 covers the decision.
- July 10, 2020: Reuters reports on the decision.
- July 10, 2020: Irish Central summarizes the NEWSTALK interview about CULCHIE.]
- July 10, 2020: Newstalk FM host Sean Moncrieff talks with John Chew about the offensiveness of CULCHIE.
- July 9, 2020: Sam Leith offers his opinion in Unherd.
- July 9, 2020: Deseret News outlines the issue.
- July 9, 2020: Cox Media Group outlets report on the decision.
- July 9, 2020: Express columnist Virginia Blackburn offers her opinion.
- July 9, 2020: Nova reports that CULCHIE might be removed.
- July 9, 2020: PR Daily wrapup quotes Hasbro press release and John Chew's letter to members.
- July 9, 2020: CNN interviews John Chew about the decision to remove slurs.
- July 8, 2020: The Telegraph reports on the issue. An edited version of this article appeared in Canada the following day in the National Post.
- July 8, 2020: USA Today recaps the New York Times article.
- July 8, 2020: WiLD 94.9 reports on the issue.
- July 8, 2020: ABC News Radio interviews John Chew about the issue.
- July 8, 2020: NPR reports on the decision to eliminate slurs.
- July 8, 2020: BBC News reports on the debate.
- July 8, 2020: Daily Mail columnist Christa D'Souza frets that WRINKLIES may be removed.
- July 8, 2020: Winged Nation summarizes the debate.
- July 8, 2020: Gay Nation looks at the issue from the LQBT perspective.
- July 8, 2020: Yahoo! Sports reviews the issue.
- July 8, 2020: Mashable discusses the debate.
- July 8, 2020: Kotaku reports on the decision to remove slurs.
- July 8, 2020: The John Oakley Show interviewed John Chew from 15:35 to 15:45.
- July 7, 2020: Out reports on the issue.
- July 7, 2020: The New York Times interviews John Chew and NASPA members about the inclusion of slurs. Hasbro announces that NASPA has agreed to remove all slurs.
- July 6, 2020: Reuters reports on the debate.
- July 6, 2020: The Times interviews John Chew and WESPA Chair Chris Lipe about the removal of slurs.
- July 5, 2020: The Daily Mail recaps the debate on removing slurs.
- June 29, 2020: Calgary Eyeopener host Rob Brown interviewed John Chew about removing slurs from the NWL.
- June 25, 2020: Article about CBC As It Happens interview includes additional comments from NASPA member Frank Tangredi.
- June 24, 2020: John Chew appears on As It Happens on CBC. Interview begins at about the 28-minute mark.
- June 24, 2020: The Globe and Mail interviews NASPA CEO John Chew.
- June 18, 2020: Stefan Fatsis discusses the debate on the inclusion of slurs in the lexicon in Slate.
- June 2, 2020: The Daily Hampshire Gazette interviews NASPA Member and Youth Player Jack Carpenter who placed 2nd in last weekend's online School SCRABBLE Championship (OQuaSSA).
- May 11, 2020: The Montclarion recaps the appearance of NASA member Mina Le on Jeopardy!
- April 26, 2020: The Saige Jones podcast interviews Joe Edley about his life (and SCRABBLE career) and the impact of meditation.
- COVID-19 Coronavirus
- March 7, 2020: Nautilus reports on the role of tile values and luck in SCRABBLE - including quotes from John Chew, Stefan Fatsis, and Lynda Woods Cleary.
- February 5, 2020: The Cornwall Standard-Freeholder reports on the Montreal vs. Ottawa tournament held on February 1.
- January 29, 2020: Pacific NW Magazine visits Seattle (WA) NASPA Club #253.
Older Press Releases