This page contains current and recent breaking news about NASPA.
- IContact: an online archive of NASPA News (originally called Tournament Talk), a weekly newsletter, and other emails sent to the membership.
- NASPA Bulletin: an online archive of NASPA Bulletins (not currently in publication).
- Club news: news about activities at our sanctioned clubs
- Member news: news about our members outside of their Scrabble lives
- SCRABBLE in the news : Links to articles about SCRABBLE players, clubs, and tournaments.
- Tournament calendar: upcoming tournaments
- Tournament results: past tournaments
- ... and our home page, which will always list the top stories.
- 1 Current news
- 1.1 January 8, 2019 Sue Tremblay joins Club/Director Committee
- 1.2 January 8, 2019 John Bulten joins Dictionary Committee
- 1.3 January 7, 2019 OTCWL2018 PDFs posted to Member Services
- 1.4 January 3, 2019 OTCWL2018 implementation delayed
- 1.5 January 1, 2019 Joshua Sokol and Colin Viebrock acclaimed to Canadian Committee
- 1.6 December 5, 2018 OTCWL2018 released
- 1.7 October 3, 2018 2019 North American SCRABBLE Championship Announced
- 1.8 August 8, 2018 Joel Sherman wins 2018 North American SCRABBLE Championship
- 1.9 August 2, 2018 Advisory Board Appointments
- 1.10 July 2, 2018 2018 Advisory Board Elections
- 1.11 June 2, 2018 2018 Advisory Board Elections - Voting open
- 1.12 May 18, 2018 Form 990 is now Available
- 1.13 April 26, 2018 2018 Advisory Board Elections - Nominations open
- 1.14 March 1, 2018 New Club/Director Committee member
- 1.15 January 31, 2018 Mina Le named International Committee cochair
- 1.16 January 29, 2018 Joshua Sokol named Canadian Committee chair
- 1.17 January 17, 2018 Canadian payment method update
- 1.18 January 9, 2018 Will Anderson at CES
- 2 Archived news
We thank Sue Tremblay for joining the NASPA Club/Director Committee;
We thank John Bulten for joining the NASPA Dictionary Committee;
John had previously been a valued member of the NSA Dictionary Committee.
The new words found in the Official Tournament and Club Word List, 2018 Edition have been posted on NASPA Member Services as easily printable PDFs.
January 3, 2019 OTCWL2018 implementation delayed
The Advisory Board has determined that implementation of OTCWL2018 will be delayed from February 1, 2019 to March 1, 2019.
We thank Joshua Sokol for continuing on in his role at the NASPA Canadian Committee, and welcome first-time member Colin Viebrock, who replaces the outgoing Mad Palazzo.
December 5, 2018 OTCWL2018 released
The electronic text of the Official Tournament and Club Word List, 2018 Edition is now available for download from Member Services. It will take effect on February 1, 2019.
October 3, 2018 2019 North American SCRABBLE Championship Announced
The 2019 North American SCRABBLE Championship will be held in Reno, Nevada, on July 20 to 24, 2019.
Congratulations to Joel Sherman, winner of the 2018 North American SCRABBLE Championship. View the press release.
Lila Crotty, Jennifer Lee, and Ezekiel Markwei have been appointed to 2-year terms on the NASPA Advisory Board.
Cornelia Guest and Troy Thompson were reelected to the US Northeast and US Midwest districts.
Voting for the 2 contested seats - US Northeast and US Midwest - runs from June 3rd through June 30th. Jackson Smylie wins the Canada district by acclamation.
May 18, 2018 Form 990 is now Available
NASPA's 2017 Form 990 is now available online for review.
Elections for NASPA's Advisory Board (AB) are approaching. This year three elective seats need to be filled:
- US Northeast
- US Midwest
Nominations are open from May 1 through May 31, 2018. To nominate yourself or someone else, contact NASPA at email@example.com.
We thank Ted Gest for joining the Club/Director committee.
We thank Mina Le for stepping in to replace the late Steve Polatnick as our International Committee cochair, and representative on WESPA's Executive Committee.
We thank Joshua Sokol for accepting the unanimous nomination of his committee
to be their new chair.
January 17, 2018 Canadian payment method update
As of this week, we no longer accept payment by cheque or money order in Canadian funds, but have begun experimentally accepting Canadian-denominated Interac e-Transfers.
NASPA goes to CES 2018! See what happens when Will Anderson plays a Taiwanese robot.